A spinal subluxation is the loss of the natural position or alignment of the spinal bone, causing pain, sleep disturbance, behavioral problems, and developmental delays.
In children, when the body is emotionally, chemically, or physically stressed, a subluxation can occur, causing disturbances within the nervous system. The neurological disturbance, combined with the loss of normal spinal function, can cause a variety of health issues, impacting a child’s ability to sleep, impacting normal growth and organ function during development, and causing other serious complications. Unfortunately, the effects subluxations have on children can go unnoticed for weeks, months, or even years.
Finding a chiropractor with the training and experience to properly assess and treat your child is crucial. Chiropractic care provided by a licensed and experienced chiropractor at Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center is the first step in facilitating the correction. Our chiropractors will use specific adjustments that can provide noticeable results during your child’s first session.
Subluxations in Children: What Every Parent in Bentonville AR Should Know About Spinal Alignment
Due to the immense pressure in the birth canal, childbirth is difficult on the spine and is one of the leading causes of subluxations in children. Studies have shown that infants and children who receive chiropractic treatment soon after birth show a decrease in issues with posture, behavioral challenges, and sleep.
Unfortunately, in some cases, it can be difficult for parents to identify a subluxation. If your child has difficulty concentrating, struggles to sleep through the night, or has poor posture, your child may be suffering from a subluxation.
Causes of Subluxations in Children
Subluxations can occur at any time and can lead to a wide range of adverse health conditions that a child can struggle with daily. Some studies have shown that damage caused by subluxations can become permanent, quickly. Because of this, children should be seen by an experienced chiropractor as soon as possible following an accident, trauma, or birth.
Subluxations during birth are very common. By correcting a subluxation at an early age, the damaging effects of subluxations can be prevented. The longer the spine is out of alignment, the more severe the effects the interference will have on the child’s nervous system. Additionally, over time, the vertebra can become accustomed to being out of alignment.
Subluxations in children are mostly due to the hundreds of minor and major accidents and falls they experience throughout their childhood. Even a minor accident can cause severe trauma to the spine.
Negative Effects of Subluxations in Children
Subluxation symptoms can include headaches, poor sleeping habits, trouble concentrating, hyperactivity, growing pains, bad posture, and developmental delays.
- Subluxation can impact normal development in children, preventing them from reaching their potential. A subluxation can interfere with normal organ function and growth.
- When a spinal misalignment occurs in the cervical vertebrae, it can cause significant nerve interference that can result in ongoing sleep issues. This can result in behavioral challenges, depression, and trouble focusing at school and can also impact cognitive development. Children require 8-10 hours of sleep each night. If you notice your child is not sleeping through the night or is not getting adequate sleep, contact the chiropractors at Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center to schedule a spinal health assessment with one of our healthcare professionals.
- A child with ADHD or other emotional, social, or behavioral challenges may experience more severe symptoms if they have a subluxation. At Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center, an experienced chiropractor can assess your child and create a program that’s designed to help them face these challenges, improve their quality of life, and focus, and help them to succeed in living a healthier lifestyle.
- Children spend several hours a day bent over their schoolwork or electronic devices. If your child already has a subluxation, it can worsen their already poor posture, causing back pain and discomfort.
Benefits of Spinal Alignment Treatment for Children
It’s now more important than ever to have your children checked by a licensed chiropractor as soon as possible after birth. Childhood is a time of rapid growth. Regular chiropractic treatment early on can ensure your child grows and develops properly.
- A child with a properly aligned neck and spine will have better posture and improved overall health.
- An aligned spine helps to clear the neural pathways, improving nervous system function, and a properly functioning nervous system is vital to healthy living.
- Chiropractic care can also reduce the risk of injuries. Many children are accident-prone. Minor falls and accidents are expected often. However, there are some types of injuries that can be avoided by receiving regular chiropractic treatment. Chiropractors specialize in ensuring that the musculoskeletal system is properly aligned. This ensures that a child experiences strong muscles, proper balance, and full range of motion, making it less likely for serious injuries to occur.
- Misaligned vertebrae can cause disruption to the nervous system, pain, and discomfort, preventing your child from sleeping well throughout the night. Chiropractic adjustments can address these issues, correcting the misalignment, and eliminating the disruption to the nervous system and any associated discomfort.
- Regular chiropractic care and spinal adjustments can also help reduce the symptoms associated with ADHD, improving a child’s focus while reducing hyperactivity and restlessness.
What a Pediatric Chiropractic Adjustment Looks Like
During treatment, a Pediatric chiropractor will begin by thoroughly examining your child to identify any misalignments. They will then speak with you regarding their findings and the recommended treatment. At Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center, our chiropractors can create a unique treatment plan with your child’s wellness goals in mind.
If a chiropractic adjustment is needed during the initial visit, the traditional procedure is modified based on a child’s spinal condition, size, and weight. A chiropractor will use gentle pressure over the misaligned area. They may also utilize therapeutic massage to address any tight muscles surrounding the area. Treatment will not cause pain or discomfort.
Contact Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center to Schedule an Appointment Today
These days, many parents are now seeking regular chiropractic treatment for their children. At Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center, we provide care to children of all ages and can create a treatment plan that will address the subluxation and prevent a recurrence in the future. If you notice any signs or symptoms of subluxation, or you would simply like your child to begin receiving regular chiropractic care, contact Deep Roots Chiropractic Health Center today to schedule a chiropractic checkup. We look forward to meeting with you and your child and helping them on their path to total wellness.